Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day Seven: Favorite Movies

This has GOT to be one of the hardest questions someone can ask me. I LOVE MOVIES. I love to analyze them, feel the emotions in them, and dissect the characters. My favorite movies are the ones that move me... when they surprise me with a crazy ending or when it reminds me of something really powerful. I usually like movies where I can see myself in one of the characters, too. My list is already up to like 21 movies... needless to say, I could pick 21 more very easily. Here are the first ones that came to mind: 

If I had to pick my all-time favorite movie, it'd be Shawshank Redemption. My favorite actor, Morgan Freeman... and an incredible storyline. This is one movie that completely took me by surprise at the end... I hate that I didn't guess the end, but it makes me love and appreciate the movie even more. Redemption! 
 "Maybe it's because I'm Irish"


Talk about a freaking weird and crazy movie... Seven is exactly that. Three of some of the most amazing actors in this movie (Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, & Kevin Spacey)... and the story is written SO well. I love that it ends without the typical resolution we expect.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'... I agree with the second part."

Yes. Yes. Yes. My mind was blown when I first watched this movie. It totally made me start asking more questions... about everything. It made me look at my dependence on the government and draw a line in the sand that I would not accept their BS they try to sell. If anything, the movie makes you think and question things... suspicion is not always bad.  
"A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people."

I LOVE Leo.  I bawled like a BABY when I first watched this movie... so much that I had to leave the room and compose myself in the bathroom. I have a huge heart for children forced into slavery or any dangerous conditions, and this movie is all about the diamond industry using child slaves. There is a scene that absolutely slays me... I will cry during that scene every time I watch the movie. It reminds me of how God speaks to us after we've been away. Even reading this quote makes me tear up. This is Solomon speaking to his son, Dia.  

 "Dia, What are you doing? Dia! Look at me, look at me. What are you doing? You are Dia Vendy, of the proud Mende tribe. You are a good boy who loves soccer and school. Your mother loves you so much. She waits by the fire making plantains, and red palm oil stew with your sister N'Yanda and the new baby. The cows wait for you. And Babu, the wild dog who minds no one but you. I know they made you do bad things, but you are not a bad boy. I am your father who loves you. And you will come home with me and be my son again." 


What favorite movie list is complete without Braveheart? It truly is one of my favorites, and it reminds me that one person can make a difference and inspire others to do the right thing. There's a scene that is so powerful (do all my favorite movies make me cry?!)... and William Wallace looks into the face of the man who betrayed him. It reminds me of Jesus for some reason. So powerful.
"FREEDOM!"


YES I LOVE THE DARK KNIGHT. These movies aren't in any particular order, but if they were... I think that Dark Knight would be a VERY close second to Shawshank. I love love LOVE this movie. Heath Ledger's last performance was absolutely amazing, moving, and breathtaking. I cannot wait for the next batman (next summer!)
"Like a leper"


a very important section of my favorite movies is solely devoted to DISNEY. I grew up with the classics, and no other Disney movies can compare to them.  

Dear, sweet Beauty & the Beast. I think I'm more like Belle than any other Disney princess person. She's a book worm, nerd, a little odd... and totally willing to do anything for her dad. AH! I love this movie.
"There may be something there that wasn't there before."

Thank you, Aladdin, for completing my childhood.
"Where'd you dig this bozo up?!"

Goodness, Lion King... I went and saw this movie in the theater for one of my birthdays when I was a little kid. I remember it like it was yesterday! Hans Zimmer, you make any movie good with your amazing music... Ryan & I saw this in theaters when they re-released it in 3-D. I may or may not have cried through the ENTIRE movie.
"Simba, you deliberately disobeyed me."

I used to sing Little Mermaid songs in the bathtub when I was a little girl with my Ariel washcloth and rubby ducky I called Flounder :)  I love it!
"Strings... wind... words..."


How about Brave Little Toaster anyone?! This is one of those obscure but great movies. Ryan fell even more in love with me when he realized I knew and loved this movie! We had fights about the toaster's gender... I still believe she's a lesbian. 
"The city of liiiiiights!"

Not Disney, but still wonderful. What's with all these filmakers for children's movies getting together and saying, "Hey, let's make a movie where the little kids' parents die and we make everyone cry?" Seriously!!! I have a stuffed Littlefoot to this day... I love it!
"SHARPTOOH!" 

This movie completely reminds me of God's sovereignty and goodness. It makes me think that sometimes "bad things" can be used to save us from things we have no idea are coming our way. Mel Gipson, I love you. Your facial expressions cannot be compared to any other.
"Swing away, Merrill" 


Mark Wahlberg.... Hi. I love Shooter. One of my first glimpses into the corrupt government came from watching this movie :) Doesn't everyone love a pissed off US Citizen who gets framed and escapes the law... then finds his own justice? I certainly do.
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."

I honestly thought this movie was going to be LAMMMME. I was SO wrong. I really love this movie. There is nothing like it out there.
"Don't thank... this is sad... very sad." 


Another reminder of God's sovereignty. I love so many actors in this movie, too.
"I'll protect you, Daddy."

Russell Crowe is brilliant... not just as the actor in this movie. This was another one that totally surprised me. I love/hate that it caught me SO off guard. I love his speech at the end:
"You are all my reasons.

Another Leo movie. Talk about action, passion, betrayal, honor... C'mon - it's the musketeers!
"Wear it until you love it... and die in it."

Another obscure children's movie. Another reason Ryan loved me more :) I liked the little mouse with a lisp since I had a lisp as a little girl when I first watched it
"Pieth a cake"

Thank you, Denzel for quality movies like this. Another movie that reminds me of God's plan. One of my favorite lines is when Denzel is about to go back in time and he says,
"What if I already have?" 

One of the greatest movies ever. Set back in one of the most conflicted times of our country. I love movies with the element of segregation -- just because I'd like to think that I'd be one of the people who would be hanging out with black people. Can't say for sure because I didn't live back then, but this movie is amazing... powerful, entertaining, and inspiring!
"Coach, I'm hurt. I'm not dead."


So there are my favorite movies. I have tons more I'd love to add... The Help is probably one of the ones I'd like to add, but I can't say it's one of my favorites if I've only seen it once. It'll probably get added once I buy it when it comes out. 
Glad I have the opportunity to watch movies like these and see elements of God/spirituality in them. Movies are more than just entertainment for me... They're inspiring, uplifting, and can even teach us a lot.

im thankful.
carrie anne

0 comments:

Post a Comment