Monday, May 17, 2010

my first week in counseling.

It seems as though 2010 is quite a huge year for me.

In February, my sister and her husband adopted their amazing daughter, Bella.

In April, my boyfriend proposed to me - what a life changing experience.

In the same month, we also celebrated a year together.

In May, I finished up my 5th semester of Graduate school.

Thoughout April & May, I have been planning a wedding for this December.
I even found THE dress 2 weeks ago. SO excited!!!


But last week, I started seeing clients. Talk about ups and downs this year... last week was one huge roller coaster. I spent 8 and 1/2 hours collectively last week in a room with different people talking about their problems and hurts. My first client ever has dealt with more pain and loss than I could ever imagine. My second day of seeing clients, I had to make a hotline call because of abuse in the home. My third day, I sat and cried with a woman whose father had abused her all through her childhood. And to end the week, I sat with a woman who has such an addiction to pain pills that she has lost custody to all four of her children.

There is something about hearing those people's stories firsthand that causes my heart to soften to everyone. I would have never guessed that these people were carrying such hurt and pain with them when they walked into our office - so it causes me to think about everyone else I see on a daily basis.

I heard a quote one time (I think it's by Plato) -


"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

I cannot help but agree. So often, I write people off that interrupt my day, don't do what I want, or just get in the way of what I want. Counseling other people is an amazing and humbling experience. I feel like I'm learning just as much as my clients are learning, and God is showing me a lot about myself. It's ironic, but I'm extremely thankful that I've been called to this field. For many reasons, but one of them is the plain fact that I will be challenged and refined as a person for as long as I'm present and doing what God has called me to do in counseling.

"You cannot wipe the tear from someone else's eye without getting your hand wet."

I know that my clients will bring out things in me that need to be brought out. This field is an extremely rewarding and challenging one, but I know I'm in it for a reason. I've just finished up my first week, and I feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be. It's so overwhelming to prepare and educate yourself through school and life experiences and etc - and to sit in a room with someone else and USE those things you thought you might never would. I'm sure my thoughts and experiences in counseling will be a theme in my blogging - it's my calling.



0 comments:

Post a Comment